Saturday, March 1, 2008

You say gross! I say progress!

I've been under the 'cruiser a lot this morning. First, let me commend this floor jack. In the close quarters of my garage where I don't always have room for a full pump, the quick-lift feature has come in handy several times already.

I thought it would be best to remove the spare and carrier due to the obvious stress it is putting on the already-troublesome quarter panel. This was my first problem:



I don't have a key to this lock. Nothing a cut-off wheel couldn't handle, though.




I removed the 8 bolts that secure the tire holder- this rust is not encouraging. At least the weight of the spare isn't threatening to pull the whole thing loose anymore.



I removed the shield that protects the transfer case, and spent a few hours cleaning up underneath. Idea: I bought a roll of builder's paper at HD the other day for about 10 bucks. I've been cutting off pieces to throw under the truck while I do the messy work to protect the garage floor. Not an issue for anyone with a sealed floor, I guess. It's been working well for me though.




Gotta love how aluminum cleans up:

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What did you use to degrease the transfercase, and what about brushes - what did you do there as well. Looks great!