Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Shop lights, engine revealed

I bought some cheap shop lights ($8.50) at HD to put in the garage. Until now I'd been depending on one 75W bulb and the crappiest drop light ever. I'm on my third bulb in a week. These were super-easy to install and make a huge difference. I'm probably going to buy two more soon, because simply putting the hood up blocks a lot of the light right now.



I spent a lot of time poking around under the hood. I can't wait for the manuals I ordered from Toyota to get here, that way I can read about some of these yet-unidentified appendages to the engine. I read that 1978 was the last year that Toyota was able to produce the Landcruiser without a catalytic converter, but they had to compensate by engineering some pretty tricky emissions equipment. For a 30-year-old vehicle, this truck has a lot of "extra" stuff in the engine compartment. Not like my old '67 Mustang, that was basically block, heads, carb, exhaust.

Carburetor looks a little sad. I'm debating cleaning it, but honestly I'm afraid to. My luck I'll tear some tiny little seal and it won't run as well as it does now. So, for now it stays untouched.



The valve cover got a quick wipe-off. Inline six = really huge valve cover. This is the second major aluminum piece I've found on the truck- the other was the transfer case housing.



Looks like it has been awhile since the fuel filter was replaced.



Think anything runs off vacuum? Geez. I've also read about guys who inherited bastardized vacuum lines from the previous owners, and it sounds like living hell. The biggest reason I knew I wanted this cruiser as soon as I saw it- everything is stock, right down to the hubcaps and trailer hitch.

No comments: