Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Painting is hard

Paint prep is a ton of work. It's starting to go more quickly now that I've got the right tools. Huge thanks to Jeff Zepp for tip on 3M Abrasive wheels. His website is a wealth of Landcruiser information. He looks like a pretty cool guy to hang out with too. Jeff Zepp's Website



I was hoping to have the hood, front apron (or bib, whatever it is called), and bezel primed and back on the truck by yesterday. Crap! I've been driving Anna's Beetle for the last few days.

What you see is where I stand now.



The visible stripes on the hood should disappear with another light coat of primer. It's just Rustoleum rattle can stuff, so it won't look perfect. It's difficult to purposely not do something right the first time around, but I'm glad that these panels will be protected from further rust until I get around to the real paint job. Depending on what I find out in my research, I might strip these parts back to bare metal before priming with a self-etching primer and an actual paint gun. I've been talking with a guy at an auto paint supply place here in Denver, and reading some books.

And I had to put up a picture of Betty in the garage for good mojo:

No comments: