Thursday, March 20, 2008

FSMs, startling discovery

After 3 weeks, 2 of the 3 Factory Service Manuals I ordered arrived. The other is on backorder, 2-6 more weeks before it shows up. No big deal, though, I’ve got enough to read for now.



I got the new hood hardware installed: new hooks for hood and windshield, new windshield bumpers, new hood pads. It cinches up pretty tight now, and that powder coated black will look even better when the truck has fresh paint.



I drained and refilled the differentials. I bought a 23mm socket specifically for the drain plugs on the way home from work, got the truck up on stands and the socket was too small. I looked in my toolbox and sure enough, there was already a 23mm socket. I’d been here before. So I rode my bike to the auto parts store (one of the nice things about living near Colfax) and picked up a 24mm socket. Then I was in business and it took about 15 minutes to do both. The old gear oil looked pretty beat. I re-torqued the driveshaft bolts while I was under there, just in case. They felt pretty good.

I made a startling discovery yesterday! I was looking around on the Rising Sun 4x4 Forums, a local Toyota truck club, and came across this post:



This post

Recognize that truck, with the retarded front bumper? So, I reached out to the guy that made the post.

Hey man,

I was lurking on the forum and saw this picture of your FJ40:

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/foru...2&postcount=14

You mentioned that someone in your apt complex named Reuben used to own the blue one next to it. Well, now I own it. I didn't buy it from Reuben- apparently he sold it to a guy in Conifer in between.

Anything you can tell me about the truck? I've only had it for a couple weeks, but I've looked it over pretty well and haven't found any surprises.

Kind of startling when I saw the truck in your post!


HIS RESPONSE:

Yeah, I think Motoloco (our local flipper) grabbed it up in between. Kinda sucks for Reuben, because he didn't originally sell his truck to someone who was interested in taking care of it, but oh well, sounds like it's in good hands now.

I drove it for just a few minutes one night when we were checking each other's trucks out, it was quiet compared to mine, had good power, clutch felt fine etc., which I'm sure you've experienced. Looks to me like it's pretty much unmolested as far as wiring etc. goes, considering it has the interior light that works, gauge lights, light switch light, etc. Reuben didn't drive it much, he was kinda saving it for bodywork that apparently he wasn't interested in doing, he also has an LX450 and a 60 series.

The only thing mechanical that I know about is that it has a new water pump and radiator and fan - we went down to Metberry Gulch last fall and his water pump let go on the way there, I think he took it to the Toy Shop or somewhere to have that fixed. I have his phone number too if you want to call him and talk with him about it, he's a pretty nice guy.

Very original, he would drive it to work occasionally, so there were no problems with it, just needs some regular maintenance that I don't think he was mechanically inclined enough to do. Good to hear you're reaching out to local Cruiserheads! Come join us at a meeting sometime!


How cool is that? I’ll probably head to one of these meetings sometime, but I want to make a few fundamental improvements to my FJ first.

2 comments:

Abdul Rauf (Abidi) said...

Great work, but why pics are not available. please make them available.

Abdul Rauf (Abidi) said...

Waiting for reply......