Saturday, March 15, 2008

U joints replaced

Eric, Anna-Lisa and I started the U joint replacement job late last night. Not surprisingly, we didn't finish it last night. We started by removing the rear driveshaft, which was a cinch, but after banging on the joints with my BFH for awhile and not making much progress, I decided to call it a night. The neighbors were probably thankful.



This morning I made a trip to Harbor Freight and bought a kit that is made for servicing brakes, u joints, and ball joints. It is basically a c-shaped hunk of cast iron with a threaded rod and some adapters of differing sizes. I buy tools at Harbor Freight very rarely, but this is the kind of tool you can get away with buying on-the-cheap.

NIGHT AND DAY. Check this out:



The u joint tool and the air wrench made an awesome team. I will never do it the BFH way again.

The bearing surfaces on the driveshaft yolks looked pretty good.



And the rear driveshaft is done! I'm actually excited about doing the front, now that I know how to do it. Having the right tools makes ALL the difference.

1 comment:

javier said...

Everything looks good so far and it looks as if you are having a good time with it. BTW, Happy Belated Birthday. Sorry I have been very busy around here trying to get all the details worked out between school, business, and work.

Javier