Tuesday, April 29, 2008

First post in two weeks! (and a video!)

I bet my Mom is getting bored without a new post, since she's about the only person that looks at this anyway.

I've been enjoying the topless '40 in the Spring weather around Denver lately.

Played around under the hood a little tonight. I've made a list of maintenance tasks I want to take care of. The simplest, and the first on the list, was to clean the carburetor. I'm talking about an on-vehicle cleaning, nothing involving disassembly.









I used the carb cleaner sparingly, and cleaned some other stuff up while I was in there. Cinched up all the EGR/emissions equipment and hoses, double-checked all the vacuum lines, etc.

I noticed while tinkering around that the carburetor assembly would actually wiggle a little. I tightened up the bolts that secure the carb assembly (very tricky to access, by the way), and it got rid of the wiggle.

I also discovered that the distributor no longer contains the factory points & condensor. One of the previous owners installed an electronic (magnet) ignition module. It appears to be a clean install, and the truck runs well, so I'm happy about that. I'll carry a spare set of points just in case.

Here's a video of engine start-up and idle. The lighting is pretty bad since the raised hood blocks the closest shop light, but video is always interesting. Also, the camera audio quality makes it sound like a tractor diesel, but it's not nearly as rickety-sounding in person.



The '40 is running pretty smoothly. Valve adjustment is next. I poked around for the timing hole on the bellhousing, but couldn't find anything tonight, so I'll have to do some research there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, it's about time you gave me something new to look at! I do check, almost every day. A MOM thing, I guess!