Sunday, May 4, 2008

Valve adjustment

I adjusted the valve lash this morning. This was a fun and satisfying maintenance task.



Here's a video of the valvetrain in action:



I read in several places that it is important to work quickly in order to get the valves adjusted while the engine is at operating temperature. I took temperature measurements with an infrared thermometer throughout the job just in case.



I used a dryer hose to vent the exhaust fumes out of the garage.



Unfortunately I wasn't able to take more photos, but this job involves the use of multiple tools and both hands at all times. I did manage to get a short clip of the torque wrench:



I can check one more thing off the maintenance to-do list, and there is a little less valve ticking now.

1 comment:

Bill said...

It has been a while since I've looked at your FJ activity, but I like the recent progress! Great job on documenting the valve adjustment.