Thursday, April 3, 2008

Fenders

I picked up my fenders from Mile High Toyota earlier this week. They arrived in great shape- I think I'm going to be happy that I went with OEM in this case. After comparing to the old fenders, I confirmed that all the bolt holes and the turn signal holes are correct.



Removing the fender aprons and the old fenders was a cinch. They just unbolt and come right off. The charcoal canister, coil and a couple fluid reservoirs have to be removed from the inside of the passenger side fender, and there are a few things to unbolt from the inside of the driver's side as well.







It is pretty easy to poke around in the engine compartment with the fenders removed.





I'm going to replace the fuel filter, battery tray and hold-down, spark plug wires, and battery ground cable while I've got easy access. I started prepping the aprons for primer also. They were in pretty decent shape- I probably could've foregone the rust-preventative primer coat until the real paint job, but why not since I've already got 'em unbolted. The fenders will get a coat of primer as well, if only to seal up the places where the factory primer coat has been scratched. The undersides will be sprayed with some undercoating or something similar.

Unfortunately, it has been raining and cold here. Not great painting weather. I need to read up on fender undercoating a little more, but hopefully I'll have the truck back on the road early next week.

No comments: